The history of our company has begun since 1888. The company was established on the basis of the former Russian-French partnership "Provodnik" (Conductor). Since 1890 production of technical and surgical rubber products, linoleum and products made of horny rubber, rubber overshoes was started.
Provodnik. View from the Side of the Bridge over the River Sarkandaugava Arm, 1908.
In 1914, the Partnership "Provodnik" had already had 220 commercial and residential buildings. The partnership produced large volumes of technical rubber; rubber sleeves; tires (both road and vehicle), linoleum; insulation materials: asbestos products and fabrics, hard rubber; waterproof fabrics; toys (mostly balls) .High level of its production allowed to "Provodnik" taking a leading position not only in Russia but also in the global market. That time in the global rubber industry of the time "Provodnik" took the fourth place and the second place for production of tires. Tires of "Provodnik" according to information of the newspapers of that time were the best in the world competing with the products of well-known company "Michelin" (France) and were used in the first automobiles in the Russian Empire, made by "Russo-Balt", at bikes and airplanes manufactured in Riga.
Tire Works of Provodnik, 1906
From Pricelist of Provodnik
In summer 1915 due to offensive of German troops offensive in the direction of Jelgava - Riga, an urgent evacuation of industrial enterprises was begun from Riga deep into Russian rear area. The company "Provodnik" evacuated its facilities to Moscow.
In the after-war years, the joint stock company tried to restore production of some types of rubber products, but it was not successful, and in 1928 "Provodnik" was winded up.
The entire period from discontinued operations of "Provodnik" to arrangement of "Riga Electric Machine Building Works" lasted less than the lifetime of one generation. And as soon as there peace had come, the employees of "Provodnik" returned to its own territory to start working there again.
Immediately after the war, it was decided to build over the territory of the former "Provodnik" a plant for suburban trains.
On February 8, 1946 Riga Electric Machine Building Plant (RER) was approved as a going enterprise upon the Order of People's Commissar.
In December 1946 "RER"
released its first set of coils for tram motors DB-60 and started producing electric power supply system for passenger cars with the generator RD-2.
Generator Rd-2D, power 5.6 кW
The following workshops were created at the factory: mechanics and repair workshop, tool, winding and insulation, anchor as well as small part workshop. Firstly mechanical and repair workshop stated operating mechanics and repair workshop with 21 pieces of equipment, and by the end of 1946 - the tool workshop with 5 pieces of equipment. It allowed starting manufacture of equipment and pole coil winding of motors DB-60.
The period from 1946 to 1949 was the most difficult in the after-war history of the company: it was necessary, simultaneously with construction and establishment of the plant, to organize production of spare parts for electric tram motors DTI-60 and DC -103, some electric devices of electric train CP, generators for passenger cars RD- 2D and switchboards DSCHR-8A for At the same time when production was being developed, restoration of buildings and construction of the first stage of the plant took place. So, step by step, the plant was getting stronger, increasing its production capacity, and after passing together with the entire country after-war difficulties of recovery of the state economy contributed greatly to the development of the industry of the country and the field of industry as well.
In 1950 the employees of "RER" become the first ones in the country who had mastered production of household washing machines EAYA-2.
Mounting Conveyor PMЕ in Workshop А-2
Semi-Conductive Set SMP-1.5 "Riga-15"
Conveyor Output Section of Workshop М-2
In the period from 1951 to 1980 "RER" processed and developed modern production of electric equipment for electric trains o direct and alternate current, as well as passenger cars.
During this period pressing of plastic parts was mastered; non-ferrous injection moulding was started; production of anchors for small cars was arranged; plastic collectors for engines PN-10 were introduced in production; a construction bureaus was created, a number of new workshops as crane, equipment, electro-pneumatic equipment, stamping workshops were created.
In 1957-1958 years the plant developed and started serial production of electrical equipment for electric trains ER-1 with ten cars. Their maximum speed had increased up to 130 km/h, illumination of passenger compartment was significantly improved. The cars were equipped with forced ventilation with heating of supplied air with electrical heaters.
In 1961 SCB was created for electric equipment of forklifts as well as a laboratory of powder metallurgy. Production of motors and devices for electric cars and power plants TSMVTS-61 was started.
In 1962 for the first time fibreglass reinforcement was applied for traction motors DC-106; ultrasonic welding for contacts was used.
In the 1960-80s about 10 new types of electric train sets and several kinds of electrical equipment for passenger cars were developed. Have been set up Special construction bureau with pilot production were created. That allowed developing and introducing permanently new unique products. Many products had been designed and developed for the first time in the country: electric equipment intended for electric trains ER9 (with semiconductor rectifier), ER22 (with energy recovery in network), high-speed train ER200, washing machines (which have become basic models for other enterprises), wear-resistant magnetic starters PME-200 ( which parameters exceeded the data of foreign samples).
Magnetic Starter PMЕ-211 with "Quality Sign"
In 1970-1973 the first test of electrical equipment of electric train ER-200 that reaches speed of 200 km/h was conducted; a new semi-automatic washing machine "Riga-20" was developed, prototypes of electrical equipment for passenger and commercial electric vehicles with energy recovery during braking on accumulator battery were manufactured.
From 1965 till 1985 production volume increased by 4 times. The plant management came to conclusion that, in addition to the existing department of head constructor, it was necessary to create a special construction bureau to deal with electric traction.
Within short time the team of SCB had grown into a serious design and research unit consisting of about 250 people. Initially it consisted of two divisions: SCB (t) - Construction and SCB (s) - Research. These units performed significant volumes of scientific and technical research and development that won the proper authority among enterprises and research organizations of relevant industries in the country.
Within short time they designed electric equipment for electrocars, clamp trucks, tow cars, forklift trucks with capacity from 0.63 to 45 tons, as well as equipment for electromobiles. 20 Latvian electromobiles were made at RAF with electric equipment of "RER", which provided services for the Olympic Games 1980 in Moscow.
In 90s of last century the plant, along with whole industry of Latvia survived the economic downturn. Idles took place due to lack of orders. A number of industries were closed due to unprofitability.
In 1991 the plant was converted into a public joint stock company.
In 1993-1998 in order to gain new markets the plant within short time the plant was developed and launched modern electric equipment for electric trains of direct current ED2M ED4M and of alternate current ED9M with electric brake for Demikhovsky Machine Building Plant, electric equipment for electric trains DC ET2M with electric braking, then equipment trains switching motors, giving energy savings of up to 20%, for Torzhok Carriage Works (both in Russian). It has also started mass production of electrical equipment for the plant "Luganskteplovoz" (Ukraine). Continuously updated and produces electrical systems for passenger cars.
Traction Motor 1DT003 240 кW for Electric Trains
In 1994 JSC "Latvo" was established. Currently it is an affiliated company of "RER". It deals with development of electric equipment for passenger cars of locomotive traction.
In 2000 the plant was transformed to Joint Stock Company. In 2006 the share stock of "RER" was purchased by Russian shareholder who became its strategic investor.
Two-Unit Converter 1PV7 55 кW
Production became stable. Its volumes began to grow. In 2011-1012 the plant has almost doubled the volume of sales. New modern models of equipment had been designed and developed: traction drives for asynchronous electric suburban trains and urban subway, as well as dump trucks. The use of asynchronous motors allowed increasing the capacity of rolling stock and speed of movement, reduce operating costs, improving reliability, significantly reducing use of extremely scarce materials (first of all, non-ferrous metals), improving energy performance through the use of cost-effective ways to manage rectifying installations and traction motors, to automate in full the mode of control for trains through the use of devices of microprocessor technology.
"RER" is a modern enterprise continuing its permanent development notwithstanding war destructions, after-war difficulties and crises. Now RER remains a unique plant, a paragon of machine building, a giant plant.